Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Friday, May 04, 2007

Parents

My parents flew into Boston a week ago and flew back to Minnesota this past Tuesday. It was wonderful to have them visit - Greta especially benefited from the extra attention and sneaked treats. We packed a ton sightseeing into those short days, visiting several sites Chris and I had yet to see.
Friday, we toured the John and Abigail Adams house in Quincy. John Quincy Adams (I think) built a separate library on his property to house his books. Maybe someday I can be so lucky. Saturday, the weather cleared in the afternoon for a beautiful afternoon in Plymouth. After a quick peek at the famous 1620 rock and the re-creation Mayflower, we drove a couple miles to a re-creation of Plymouth Plantation. The set-up was very well done, and included period actors steeped in historical knowledge. In fact, the actors portrayed specific characters and answered questions from their perspective.

Sunday, we drove about twenty minutes to Lexington and Concord, stopping at the visitor center for an excellent presentation on the battle and events leading up to it. Below is a picture at the bridge. (Quick fact: the statue at the bridge is also the national symbol for the Army National Guard.) We also drove to Salem to see a show at the Witch Museum about the witch trials.

Monday, we walked the Freedom Trail and climbed the Bunker Hill Monument, which has been closed the last several months for grounds renovation. Below, my parents stand in front of the Paul Revere House.
While my parents visited, I finished classes for the semester. I holed up a couple nights with the computer to finish my portfolios, but I'm all done - such a relief. I'm taking a summer class from May 21 through the end of June but will have off July, August and part of September.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Charlebois said...

I have to say...when I look at that picture of the Mayflower recreation, I cannot imagine crossing the entire ocean in something so rickety looking. You'd have to get me on an aircraft carrier before I felt safe out there.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home