Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Coins in the Closet

When I was a little girl, maybe five, my aunt and uncle offered a giant bucket of coins to my three brothers and me as a Christmas present. The coins were almost exclusively pennies, but that didn't matter, especially to a child who loved coins. (I remember when I was seven, I converted my $25 of birthday money into change and carried it around for the summer in my purple, plastic purse that had fourteen pockets.) Anyway, my brothers and I spent hours stacking the pennies by tens to count them. In the end, we wound up with somewhere between $150 - $200, which was then split four ways. Ultimately, Jamie and Michael (my two oldest brothers) convinced Sean and me to hand over most of the money to buy a Sega video game console.

Perhaps collecting change is some genetic quirk because although my parents might not admit it, I know they have more than one carboy in their closet filled with pennies. In my closet, I have a stout, little jar that I have been throwing change into for years. If Chris empties his pockets onto the dresser, the coins are confiscated. But I often forget to throw my own money into it, and a couple months may go by before anything is added. Chris not only makes fun of the jar, but I have caught him stealing quarters for the meters, a semi-blasphemous act. He is, however, on board with reserving a few foreign coins from our trips, and we have another little pottery pot for those.

Yesterday, with Chris' support (i.e., pointed remarks), I decided the day had come to take the jar to the supermarket coin-counter. I salvaged a sacagawea, a couple Kennedy half dollars, as well as the train-pressed coin I put on the tracks in Prague on a college trip and then jumped into the well to collect after the train passed over it. The result of the coin counter's calculations was over $50 in hoarding. While I washed the tarnish from my hands in the restroom, Chris took the receipt to the cashier and got all the money back in $1 bills. My gosh, how impractical.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Charlebois said...

We emptied ours around Christmas time and had $80. Score! When I was waiting tables I would save my change all year and have close to $300 for Christmas. Every penny counts! :)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Katrina Custer said...

That's fantastic! I especially like the part about the train-flattened coin. :-)

1:24 PM  
Blogger Bonny said...

Love it. Sean won't let me spend Virginia quarters. He hoards them.

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home