Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Friday, June 27, 2014

Eloise Suzanne

On June 18 at 5:25 am, Chris, Fiona and I were blessed to welcome Eloise Suzanne Leckrone. She weighed 8 lbs, 3 oz and measured 20.5 inches long. Eloise looks much like Fiona did at birth with a full head of dark hair.

Name: Eloise is not a family name, but Chris and I both really like it. Suzanne is Chris' mother's middle name (also his sister Katie's middle name). I am happy our girls have middle names after two wonderful women in our family (Fiona's middle name is Virginia after my grandmother).

Eloise arrived quickly. I had been having increasingly frequent lower backaches in the days leading up to Eloise's birth, especially in the evenings. On Tuesday evening, my back was really sore and seemed to be cramping in sequence. I took a shower and drank some water which seemed to help. Meanwhile, Chris seemed a bit skeptical that I might be going into labor, especially since I wasn't sure myself. Finally, I knew I was having contractions and timed them from about 11:30 pm until 3:30 am, at which point they were about 6 minutes apart. (Meanwhile, Fiona had a complete meltdown in the middle of the night, and we ended up "sleeping" with her in the guest room. Not much fun while timing contractions). We called Chris' sister Allison, who arrived quickly from Eden Prairie, and then Chris and I drove the 5 minutes to Fairview Southdale. I arrived at the hospital dilated at 4 cm's, and then my contractions began coming on top of each other. The nurses started a bag of antibiotics and saline, and then my water broke on its own. I was begging for an epidural. The anesthesiologist arrived, threaded the catheter and was about to start testing the medication when I had to push. I was in denial that I was doing this without an epidural and was still begging for it when the nurses flipped me over, and Eloise emerged in 1 push. My labor went so fast that not even the staff doctor arrived in time from the other room to deliver Eloise, much less a doctor from my own OBGYN practice. Chris was a little worried because the nurses seemed to panic a little bit when they realized that Eloise was arriving, but she was perfectly healthy. When they put her on my chest, I couldn't even process the fact for a minute. I do have to say while the contractions were extremely painful without medication, I felt so much better after delivery than I did with Fiona (also because I pushed for a couple hours with Fiona).

Chris stayed at the hospital with me the first night, while Fiona had her first sleepover with her cousins at Rob and Allison's. My mom watched Fiona at our house the second day until Chris arrived in the evening. I had an excellent experience at Fairview Southdale. The nursing staff was very kind and helpful.

We've been home since last Friday morning. Eloise is a pretty good baby and seems to sleep longer and more deeply than Fiona (thank goodness). I think the hardest part of the transition has been for Fiona, who is acting out a little bit. She loves her sister and wants to hold and rock her and cover her with blankets but is still a little jealous that I can't pick her up as much as previously.

In the assessment room...little did I know Eloise would arrive about 45 minutes later. 




Meeting Fiona



First bath



Meeting grandparents


3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Johnson said...

I love reading how these little babies arrive! Isn't it crazy how fast the second time goes? Well, at least for you and me it did. :) I'll be praying for smooth transitioning to life with two kiddos.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous mleckrone@yahoo.com said...

Nice! What an entrance, what a story Eloise has.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Bonny said...

Such fun pictures!!

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home