Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

December, Christmas and New Year's

December was packed with activities and celebrations. It was so busy, I didn't even have time to write separately about any of the events, so here's a giant post.

At the beginning of the month, we attended Eloise's Christmas party at school (she wasn't too thrilled about singing along to the songs, but not many of the 18 month olds were) and Fiona's Christmas recital where Santa made an appearance.

I snapped some pictures of the girls while they were dressed up after the recital. 

I took a day off work mid-December and kept Fiona home from school so she could help me make Christmas cookies. She loves to help around the house and had a lot of fun pressing down the cookie cutters and dumping sprinkles on the cookies.

On Christmas Eve, we attended a late afternoon service at our church and then went out for a sushi dinner at Raku in Edina. I think we might make a sushi dinner on Christmas Eve our new family tradition. At home afterwards, I tried to snap some pictures of the girls in front of the tree, but failed. We let Fiona and Eloise each open a present that night (markers and coloring books).

Fiona was very excited that night about waking up the next morning to open more presents.

Christmas morning, Chris made a fire, and the girls opened presents and played. My parents, Jamie, Varsana and Malia came over in the afternoon for a lasagna dinner and more presents. Anytime we are home for more than a one hour stretch, Fiona will change into a fancy dress, which she then generally refuses to take off.

Eloise was battling a cold and in combination with the routine changes was a bit cranky for much of Christmas. I let her watch a show towards the end of the day before putting her to bed. She crashed hard.

Our first real snowfall hit the day after Christmas, and Chris and Fiona took care of the sidewalk. Chris and Fiona also made ice balls by filling up balloons with water, putting them outside to freeze and then peeling off the actual balloon. It would have been pretty to add dye to the water, but we were afraid it might stain the concrete.

Sunday, the 27th, we celebrated at my parents' house with my Dad's side of the family. After checking the forecast for the next day and realizing a snowstorm would hit during our drive to Indiana, we left a little early from my parents to pack up suitcases so we could leave earlier on Monday.

I put the kids in daycare for a couple hours Monday morning, while I finished cleaning out the car, stopped at the grocery store for snacks and packed suitcases and activities. We picked up the girls about 11:00am and set off. By the time, we neared Wisconsin Dells, road conditions has deteriorated significantly, and Rob and Allison, who were about 45 minutes ahead of us, called to say they had pulled over at a hotel with a waterpark and were staying the night. We decided to do the same, and the kids enjoyed some pool and waterslide time.

Weather starting to deteriorate

We braved the pelting wind to drive across the street to a restaurant. 

We arrive in Lafayette, Indiana Tuesday midday and enjoyed a relatively calm next couple days. Fiona and Lilly got to sleep in a room together which made Fiona very happy.

The grandparents watching the kids open presents.

Thursday, midday, we drove an hour to Indianapolis for Hannah's wedding. Hannah, foreign exchange student from South Korea, stayed with Mike and Rhonda during her high school years, recently finished pharmacy school and was marrying her high school sweetheart from Indiana. We all love Hannah and consider a member of the family. Katie was her matron of honor.

After we arrived in Indianapolis, we walked around a bit at the mall attached to our hotel and then Chris and Rob took the kids swimming while Allison and I got our hair done at a nearby salon. Rhonda arranged babysitters to stay at the hotel room with the kids so we could enjoy the evening.

Hannah and Phillip got married at the Columbia Club in front of this beautiful fireplace. I don't have a good picture of the two of them together.

I loved how my hair turned out.


It was hard to get out of the hotel the next morning, as we were all tired, except for the kids who woke up early. We drove back to Lafayette and celebrated the last Christmas celebration with Chris' mom's side of the family.

Eloise really loves Evan 

Huggy Fiona

Bobbi bought all of her great-grandchildren Western-style boots when she and Rhonda were in Arizona. Eloise and Fiona both love theirs. 

We are home now and trying to adjust back to work and school. Fiona has been out a couple days with a fever and cold, so I don't think we will really get back into the swing of things until next week.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home